From the Vintage Scrap Bag!

My mind is already losing its ability to remember names. I try really hard when I’m with a group to put names to people’s faces and remember... thumbnail 1 summary

My mind is already losing its ability to remember names.

I try really hard when I’m with a group to put names to people’s faces and remember who they are when I am there with them --- and I can do pretty good at recognizing their smiles, sometimes even remembering WHERE it was that I saw them last ---

And then there are times like today where --- oh, I can see that person plain as day in my mind, but their name? Whoooosh --- gone with the wind. It’s frustrating sometimes ---but I think in the plethora of “Cathy with a C” “and Sharon, Sharron, Sharyn ---and all the names that I find myself signing into books ---it’s really hard to retain the names, even after just a week away!

Back in Fairborn, I met the most fun lady! And knowing that I adore vintage quilts ---she brought in a couple family quilts and tops for showing and sharing just because of the terrific fabrics that were in them.

And I apologize once again for not writing her name down --- but I see her smile, and I hear her laugh in my memory, and I can picture her plain as day in those workshops – we sure had a great time!

OH_PA_june2012 215

As soon as she unfolded this Periwinkle Star with the solid red diamonds I was in love! I’ve loved this pattern for eons, haven’t pieced one because of all of those set in seams, but I can see myself doing this as a carry along project long after hexies are over.

There is a certain “kind” of quilt I like to think of as “Midwestern Farm Wife”. Not that all quilts like this were made on farms ---but they tend to be VERY scrappy, with most of the fabrics coming from the remnants of household sewing – dresses, blouses, aprons and the like ---

OH_PA_june2012 216

And this is the kind of quilt I think of when someone asks me during a trunk show “Aren’t you worried about your quilts not being made of all “quilt shop quality” fabrics?

No. I’m not. This quilt was made with fabrics from the 30’s, 40’s and into the 50s.

OH_PA_june2012 217

Some of the fabrics may have been ordered via the Sears catalogue. These are every day, ordinary dress making fabrics that found themselves in a fabulous quilt that has stood the test of time ---and NONE of them came from “quilt shop quality” fabrics.

I’m tired of “quilt shop quality” being passed around as a buzz phrase as the only way a quilt can be found “worthy” of praise or appeal.

I don’t want to sew with something that is crappy, crunchie, or that is going to deteriorate quickly ---I love quilt shop fabrics. But I am also tied deeply to the root of patchwork quilting ---and that was household sewing scraps ---wherever you could find, beg, trade or gather them.

OH_PA_june2012 218

Isn’t this turtle top so cute?

These are definitely household sewing scraps….many of them from the 1950s.

OH_PA_june2012 219

I loved their large size --- and look at that crazy plaid one! Just cut that piece however the template will fit on the fabric scrap and go with it.

I’m giggling to myself over the reaction some quilters may have had over this one --- we had some sweet students who were freaked out about their polka dots running off the edge of their half square triangles at a different angle than the triangle itself – it was driving them nuts ----oh yeah ---- and the one quilter who was aligning and matching her plaid so the stripes matched from star point to star point ---I’m seeing them squirm in my imagination as they view this turtle..LOL!

OH_PA_june2012 220

This one is a hoot – it’s made of vintage double wedding ring cheater cloth!

OH_PA_june2012 221

This one was my favorite --- 1950s keys! Grey and pink and white on black --- I would SO love to have some of this fabric!

Each and every one of these fabrics started out as a scrap left from making clothing. None of this fabric came from a “quilt shop”. All of them are fabulous and have not deteriorated over the past 60+ years.

My quilts are likely to long outlive me – even if I am sewing from fabric from recycled clothing, or fabric that I have picked up at such places as “gasp” Walmart, Joann, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin or any other number of places down-trodden by the quilt-media.

There are fabrics I would NEVER buy in those places as well --- but if the hand is good, if it feels good, if the fiber content is right – will I put those fabrics in my quilt?

No doubt. Absolutely.

60 years from now I don’t see anyone saying “It’s a pity that she didn’t make this out of quilt shop quality fabric”.

And that’s the end of what turned out to be a semi rant as I share these really fun vintage lovelies! I didn’t know this post was going to turn this way, but there you have it -----

Không có nhận xét nào

Đăng nhận xét