Antiquing in Mooresville!

My doctor’s appointment this morning was a pain in the patootey--- literally! I wound up with a steroid shot in the butt, which means you r... thumbnail 1 summary

My doctor’s appointment this morning was a pain in the patootey--- literally! I wound up with a steroid shot in the butt, which means you really CAN say I’m now quilting on steroids!

Turns out that what I have is known as “Piriformis Syndrome” Which basically means that my sciatic nerve is inflamed between the piriformis muscle and the superior gemellus muscle – the nerve travels between these two deep hip rotators and can become inflamed --- and the pain follows the pathway of the nerve, below the knee following the entire path of the sciatic nerve. Below the knee is the peroneal nerve, and that seems to be inflamed too, so the doc thought a good ole shot in the butt might help things heal a bit faster. ((Yes, all that good neuromuscular therapy training still comes into good reference use at times!))

It’s just horrible when it hurts to sit, hurts to sit and sew, hurts to sit in the car to go anywhere, hurts to sit in an airplane ---

I’ve been dealing with this for months now, and I’ve got a driving trip up to Ohio on the 10th so I needed to see a doc to see if there was something we could do. I’m supposed to call back on Friday if this is not significantly better, and maybe start a supplementary steroid pack as well.

She also recommended I get another shot before taking that long plane ride to Bali in August. Sounds like a good idea to me because although I am ecstatic about that adventurous trip, the thought of being chained to a seat on a plane for that many hours really had me worried with how bad this has been hurting.

Besides – how can I ride an elephant if I’m bothered by pain down my leg?!

So I’m home. And I’m hopeful.

I’m also going through some of the photos from yesterday’s antique run to Mooresville, NC --- Oh, did we find some goodies!

And Cindy, the Purple Quilter – I thought of you when we arrived there. Did you think of me waving at you? I was!

The antique mall, American Classic Antiques, is large and is two stories – lots of bannister space to hang delicious quilts! You can tell from the photo above that we found plenty of eye candy to behold!

My eyes went directly to the Perkiomen Valley 9 patch variation at the far left of the photo. There were actually two related quilts in this pattern here. Whether they were by the same maker, we couldn’t tell…but TWO Perkiomen Valley 9 patch quilts in ONE antique mall? Oh. BOY!

Statesville_June2012 031

This is the first one. Isn’t this Awesome!?

Statesville_June2012 032

Close up of corner section. I loved all the light shirting fabrics used on the “light side” of the 9 patch unit ---the dark side of the block uses 2 fabrics per block – I liked the effect. You could see where one block ended and another one started. It was so interesting to follow the progression of the blocks this way. Can you see the maker arranging these on her “design floor” before selecting a final lay-out?

Statesville_June2012 033

The bottom half of the quilt as it hung over the railing. What a WONDERFUL quilt!

Statesville_June2012 034

Circa 1900. Price has been marked down from $450 to $295. Still too rich for my blood, but I was thrilled to see that it did come from the Perkiomen Valley of Pennsylvania!

And the “Sister” quilt:

Statesville_June2012 039

There was not as much room to lay this one out as the other…we did the best we could with the narrow space we had! The “lights” have more color in them than the “lights” in the previous quilt – though some of the fabrics are the same. Also – these blocks have 3 fabrics per “dark side” of the block, where the other quilt had only 2 fabrics on the dark side. Can you see the difference between them? This one has a much more “Muddy” look to it just because it is more intensely scrappy. I love this block, it is so versatile and can be arranged in any log cabin lay out!

Statesville_June2012 041

Close up of blocks!

There are more quilts to show, but I need to go lie down and ice this hip.

More to follow!

Không có nhận xét nào

Đăng nhận xét