The Friendly Quilters of Ashtabula!

Yesterday was our Jared Takes a Wife workshop #2 in Ohio ---Two guilds, five hours drive apart, both chose this one as their workshop. I te... thumbnail 1 summary

Yesterday was our Jared Takes a Wife workshop #2 in Ohio ---Two guilds, five hours drive apart, both chose this one as their workshop.

I tend to think of it as a great “beginner” or “intermediate” workshop – the sewing is very straight forward, everything comes from 2” strips except for the very center of the block ---and it’s a great way to divide those scraps up into color families and really have some fun with the piecing.

And then someone pointed out that my “easy” quilt had 53 pieces in each block ---and suddenly I saw it through a newer quilter’s eyes.

Even “simple” quilts can seem overwhelming when the block has more pieces than you’ve ever put in one block before.

And I had new appreciation for those who were brave enough to come play, and understood why they might feel a bit out of their elements and over their heads ---This simple 30 block quilt adds up to 1,590 pieces not including sashing, cornerstones or borders.

But they dove in anyway! With both feet and both hands, and fabulous scraps and individual color plans and schemes, with stories of who they were making this quilt for, or how big they wanted to make it ((Some are going BIGGER than the 30 blocks!)) and we sewed and sewed and sewed all day!

I have to give the prize of dedication to Jean --- and I think everyone in class would agree with me.

I was told early on in the morning that Jean was going to have to leave by noon ---she had a family funeral to attend that afternoon so could only stay for the morning.

The story unfolded and we grinned and laughed and understood even farther ----it wasn’t just ANY funeral that she had to leave for. It was her mother’s funeral!

Now before you gasp and say you wouldn’t have BEEN in class in the first place – consider this:

Jean’s mother has been ill a LONG time. The end was welcome, peaceful and well received. But it took a while ----and for over 2 weeks now all of Jean’s extended family has been camping out at her house just waiting for mom to pass on ----

And since the class was paid for, and all her stuff was cut up and ready to go, and because she needed some mental health hours with her closest quilting buds --- and to escape the insanity of too many people in her kitchen, she came to class! And we knew she would have had her mother’s blessing to do so as well.

Jean, you are my hero! All of our thoughts went with you as you left at noon to go to be with your family. And I just feel like your mom was smiling right along with all of us --- and nodding in understanding!

Yep --- our quilting IS our therapy. Being surrounded by like-minded quilters who get us, and understand – IS the best medicine.

And I’m still chuckling to myself about it ----

So let’s share some photos, shall we?

I’m writing from North East, PA ---I’ve settled into a lovely B&B and even set up for sewing some last night!

This morning I’m meeting with some guild girls for a walk----my legs and my camera are ready! The glimpses I got of Lake Erie on the drive over are awe inspiring ---so be watching for photos of that to come.

My lecture is at 2pm today --- and we’ve got dinner planned for this evening ---I’m in VERY good hands and excited to be in a place I’ve never ever been before --

My best wishes to the fathers out there --- I’m wishing you a very very happy Father’s Day!

Không có nhận xét nào

Đăng nhận xét