Meet Me at White Turkey!

Every once in a while there has, just HAS to be a foodie post. That is one of the really fun things about traveling the highways and byways... thumbnail 1 summary

Every once in a while there has, just HAS to be a foodie post. That is one of the really fun things about traveling the highways and byways –finding very fun places that I can NOT get at home!

After yesterday’s workshop in Ashtabula, I was following the PA contingency home to North East, and they put their noggins together and decided on a very unique place for me --- The White Turkey in Conneaut, Ohio!

The White Turkey has been doing steady seasonal business for 60 years --- and it is such a fun throw back in time – think of your typical 1950s drive-in – only better! Their specialty is pulled turkey sandwiches, so tender they melt in your mouth.

We pulled up and the place was packed --- of course it was a beautiful June evening, and everyone was out to enjoy some good ole American fare and enjoy the surroundings.

OH_PA_june2012 402

The evening light was setling in, so pardon my washed out photos --- the sun was just at “THAT” angle ---and heading into my favorite time of day in the summer –mid evening.

This is where you are going to have to imagine the soundtrack floating on the air too --- cue up Frankie Valli and “Shhhhheeeeeeerrrrrrrrryy Bay ay Bee! -----Sherry Baby!” Our toes were tapping and we were humming along and singing as we waited in line to place our orders.

OH_PA_june2012 406

“what’ll it be, Ma’am?” and I step right up to place my order. I’ve studied the menu board. I’ve asked what they are famous for --- and tonight? I’m having a Large Marge pulled turkey sandwich, fries --- and oh my heck – some guy just walked off with a rootbeer float, and I MUST have one of those too!

OH_PA_june2012 409

I watch the other gals place their orders and we enjoy the music, the atmosphere, and each other while we sit on benches and wait. There is a picnic area out back with tables and umbrellas – a park like setting – we’ll carry our treats back and enjoy our meal “al fresco!”

It’s a hot spot for caravanning motorcycle riders too --- what a great place to stop, stretch your legs, enjoy some good grub before getting back on that ribbon of highway.

OH_PA_june2012 410

OH . WOW!

I quickly decided that the rootbeer float was first to be devoured…that ice cream was melting fast! The pulled turkey sandwich was delicious --- and of course, fries are the perfect vehicle for ketchup, and lots of it – just the way I like them!

I’m so glad we got to experience this little bit of “high end dining” on our way between Ohio and Pennsylvania ---THIS is what summer is about, isn’t it?

White Turkey even has a website --- check it out, and make a plan to stop the next time you drive through Conneaut ---they are open seasonally, so keep that into consideration, and DO get the root beer float!

Không có nhận xét nào

Đăng nhận xét