From Marcia’s Grandmother’s Scrap Bag!

Marcia sent me photos of a TERRIFIC quilt top made by her grandmother, thinking it was one I would like to see. She is SO RIGHT!! I get so... thumbnail 1 summary

Marcia sent me photos of a TERRIFIC quilt top made by her grandmother, thinking it was one I would like to see.

She is SO RIGHT!!

I get so much inspiration from seeing these lovely antiques ---and you know what is also fun --- try to imagine the MUSIC of that era playing in the background while you look at these photos. I like to imagine the radio on, big band music wafting on a late summer evening, the style of the vintage kitchen, what might have been cooking for dinner, and what it was like in Grandma’s found moments of piecing!

Marcia writes:

Bonnie,
All of your hand pieced hexies made me think of my grandma’s quilt top stored away in a drawer.

I have had it in a drawer for more than 35 years when my mother passed it on to me when she made a move to a smaller house.

The June 20 posting of older quilts in Fairborn, Ohio, and your comments about fabrics made me get it out and take some photos to send you.

grandma's 2


She made it in the early 50s from scraps from her “house dresses” and aprons. I know her fabric store was Woolworth's in downtown Fremont, Ohio. I remember sitting on her porch working to sew very small pieces together. I did not like it.

grandma's 4

I started quilting about five years ago when I went into a nearby quilt shop to purchase a birthday gift for a friend. I joined a class, as well as finding the gift.

It isn’t hexies, but is it hand pieced. It has the mustard you love that I thought was tooooo bright. Now I know mustard is a sign of an era.

grandma's 3

((Can you find the gingham check square with the “frugal piecing in it?! Love it!))

The bright turquoise border (shows lighter than it is) was stitched on with her electrified treadle machine:

grandma's 1

She also left a hand pieced quilt that was to be my wedding present. About 20 years ago a quilter friend hand quilted it for me.

Although I had been to your web site several times in recent years, I just started reading your blog daily after a friend told me about it at a February Quilt Retreat.

Wish I had known about the workshops in Fairborn sooner, I would have made arrangements to come. My mother-in-law attended lunches and programs in that senior center. My sister-in-law probably knows ladies who attended.

Hope you enjoy seeing another mustard, hand pieced scrap quilt.


Marcia

Marcia,

Your Grandmother’s quilt top is a treasure! Look at all those wonderful dress fabrics in it..and the patience to piece this design! I think it is related somewhat to a “jacks chain” pattern ---this is just a WONDERFUL top, and you are so lucky that your grandmother quilted, and that you have these in your possession.

Thank you for allowing me to share this quilt, and your story – with quilters everywhere!

Không có nhận xét nào

Đăng nhận xét